Thursday, April 8, 2010

www.highwaymen-buy-sell-trade.com

Just go there.

Infomative historical links, if you scroll down.

Spend some time. Read some stuff.

Look at Harold Newton paintings for sale and comparison. Most of them are pretty nice, although we have bought and sold our fair share of rather plain uninspiring ones, too.

Lately we've been doing a lot of appraisals and certificates of authenticity.

No, it's not a free service, but it's an accurate one.

"If it's free, it's for me", you say ?

I say, "Hah, free appraisals are worth exactly what you pay for them."

You'e heard of the Low Country in South Carolina ?

A free appraisal is your portal to Low-BALL Country.

1 comment:

Greg said...

Bob: I always enjoy reading your lively blog, even when we don't completely agree.

I've whittled my own Highwaymen collection down to 3 masonite Harolds and 2 Sams - one a beautiful Upson piece and a 1993 masonite. These particular pieces give me great pleasure and I can't imagine ever parting with them. Fortunately I sold off most of my other H-man pieces (those that failed to instill a lasting passion) before the current economy (except for 2 in the closet that I'll hold on to until better times). I followed my interests to the broader category of southern art, inspired by the Ogden Museum in New Orleans. It all started for me with the Highwaymen, though, and I still get excited when I see an especially nice example.

It is easy for some to snipe at dealers, but almost everything I learned about the field (and unlearned, in some cases)came from folks like Geoff, Raphael, Jeanine, and the Tysons. In general I find that Highwaymen dealers are MUCH kinder and gentler that what you'll find in the broader art world!