Sunday, November 14, 2010

A E Backus and highwaymen sales



Today's the day Rennick's auction in Vero gives the world a shot at a six foot by ten foot Backus.


Will it bring six figures ? We'll soon find out.




I sure hope so. By the way, it's NOT this one.




The auction includes a bunch of so-so highwaymen paintings, including a BUNCH of McLendon newer canvases. Many of the paintings are nice, but nothing really walks and talks.


(which is as usual , considering how many paintings are "out there".)


The auction is only slightly tainted by the inclusion of a Norman Wright and a Tracy Newton. I have to admit, I don't know what to make of the J. E. Roberts. Unfamiliar style.


I had a Livingston Roberts once, a nice four foot sunset that was signed (scratched-in) E. Roberts, on upson, in an original whitewashed crown molding frame. I assumed Livingston painted it, but was too drunk to remember his first initial. Yup, sometimes I assume things.




There is a sleeper in the group today and I can't wait to see how it does.




Backus painted this as a commission for some church and allowed prints to be made for charitable purposes.




Personally, I've always loved this image, AEB's idea of the entry gates to Heaven. I guess Saint Peter was still in charge of them when this was painted. Maybe he still is, or maybe Mother Theresa has taken over. I'll probably never find out, but anyway..............


(listen to this while you look at it, it becomes even better)




I had a print of it once, found the right frame, and sold it for a few hundred several years ago.




Like I said, can't wait.

No comments: