Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Florida art at it's finest.

Reflections: Paintings of Florida 1865 – 1965
From the Collection of Cici and Hyatt Brown

at the Museum of Arts and Sciences, Daytona Beach

Book About the Exhibition
A 200-page hard cover catalogue will accompany the exhibition. This volume, Reflections: Paintings of Florida 1865-1965 From the Collection of Cici and Hyatt Brown is a fresh look at the ‘Florida school of painters’ and at the aesthetic pleasure and the historical and social significance which is reflected in a representative selection of paintings from the larger Brown Collection.
The book’s author, Gary R. Libby “hopes that this volume and the treasures it contains will contribute to the heightened public interest and enjoyment in the art, history and culture of Florida, including its important yet often overlooked role in the genesis of the visual arts in the South.”


I began my personal journey into the world of Florida Art in 1995, so I find this to be somewhat ironic.
Is that the right word ? Ironic ?.....Maybe it was fate, or more likely coincidence......Anyway, I am going to look into purchasing a case of these books with the intention of offering them to my customers for a little discount, if at all possible. The preview looks simply MAGNIFICENT.

So, email me at hwymnbnb@aol.com if you want to get on my list and I'll save you a copy, or ship you one when I get the details and release date. Should be this weekend.

Or visit http://www.highwaymen-buy-sell-trade.com/. I might post something there, I don't know yet.

I began my relationship with the Museum of Arts and Sciences by buying a copy of the Vickers Collection book by Gary Libby in 1995 for the purpose of using it as a sales tool at the antique shows where I displayed my inventory of Florida art for sale. A couple of years later I purchased several cases of the fresh, new Libby book, now out of print, Coast to Coast, the Contemporary Landscape in Florida. I would sell the book by itself, or I would gift it to my customers who purchased paintings from my inventory by the artists listed in the book. Most of the time I would carry works by Mitch Kolbe (the dust jacket cover-boy), Sally Boswell, John Stanford, Ellie Blair and the ever popular and prolific St. Augustine artist Emmett Fritz. I went through so many books that they recognized my voice when I would call to order another case. Eventually I bought their last two cases from the museum's warehouse and finally emptied the coffers of their retail store by buying their last five or six copies.

From the new book by Libby and in conjunction with the exhibition of the collection being exhibited at Daytona's Museum of Arts and Sciences:

I simply copied and pasted it. If it's copyrighted and I shouldn't have, then I imagine I'll hear from them.
I'll oftentimes just jump on things and then see what happens.
Know what I'm sayin', gentle reader ?

"In 1995, the year of Florida’s sesquicentennial - 150th birthday- as a state,little had been written about its art. Then in rather fast succession books and articles began to appear that cataloged little-known but important private and public collections of Florida art, while telling a part of story about the birth, development and flowering of serious art in Florida.Today both not-for-profit institutions and private individuals who actively collect Florida art have helped to stimulate, through exhibitions and publications, a need to know more about the art and artists who have captured, and continue to capture in paintings, the rich and diverse geography, people and customs of Florida.
Within that tradition of investigation and inquiry is Reflections:Paintings of Florida 1865-1965 drawn from the large and impressive collection of Cici and Hyatt Brown."

I am seriously excited about this book. It is LOADED with Florida masterpieces.

Update

OK, it's later Tuesday morning now, and I have the first case being shipped here, so I should have them in time for the Stuart show next week.

I can't wait to smell that new book smell.

No comments: