Thursday, May 6, 2010

Alfred Hair painting

Well, here we go again. I feel like Rodney Dangerfield.

I don't get no respect.

This seems to happen when I give free appraisals, as I have blogged about this same situation last year sometime with an Al Black painting.

As I did the last time, I took a liking to this guy in a fifteen minute phone conversation. He was quite proud of himself for having sold some H Newtons five years ago at the peak of the market, when the economy was on the cusp of turning, but he kept his Alfred Hair.

When he decided I must be trying to tell him lies, I responded, as I always will.
I will respect his privacy by not showing you what his painting looks like. And, of course, I changed his email address and phone number. I may have changed his name, too.

It started out with some animosity, but I think I may have shown him some kind of light by the end. Maybe he believes me now ? Did he warm up ?

We'll probably never know, and that's OK, too.

Copy/pasted from my emails this early a.m. Scroll down and read them from the bottom up.


From: Hwymnbnb@aol.comTo: ajerk@prodigy.netSent: 5/6/2010 7:47:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight TimeSubj: Re: People Listing Hairs On Ebay.

Xyzxyz, you should know what a buy sell spread is. I thought you told me you were an attorney.

Buy 500 sell 1000

It's my spread. It's not buy 500 sell 500.

And it's certainly not buy 500 sell 3500

We can be friends, I don't mind that you disagree. It keeps things interesting, does it not ?

I believe your claim that someone offered 3500 for your piece. If they were on top of the market, they probably would not have done so.

You might even enjoy my blog.

I might sprinkle it with a little bullshit from time to time to try and keep it from being too dry.

regards, BOB

In a message dated 5/6/2010 7:36:36 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ajerk@prodigy.net writes:

Hi. I hope we remain friends in the future. I want to start a fund to collect orphaned
Hairs. From those who can't stand to keep the ones they have. How many hairs do you think you can get me for $5000.00? At least 10?

If people are that broke in Florida maybe they need a bailout. I'm not the Federal Government but I know a good investment when I see it.

From: Hwymnbnb@aol.com
To: ajerk@prodigy.net
Sent: 5/6/2010 7:21:56 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Re: People Listing Hairs On Ebay.


I suggest the same to anyone who will listen. Load up on Hairs. The time is right.
I agree with that and I agree that Picasso sucks, but he brings 90 million.
However eBay IS reality. Money changes hands as proof.

My back gets up when people think I'm lying.
It's interesting that you put in writing you've never been wrong, Counselor, and especially after labeling yourself as humble. That will tell my readers something, eh ?


In a message dated 5/6/2010 6:56:04 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ajerk@prodigy.net writes:


Anyone who does this is really not too smart. My humble opinion. With the economy as it is Ebay prices do not reflect reality. People are not waiting till any appropriate time to sell.

Hairs will one day well exceed Backus in value. Not because of quality (Picasso sucks) ,
but because of what it is.

Hair was who he was and did what he did. He died at age 29. Not much better a story can be told.

Its not that I'm used to being right. But over the years I've never been wrong. My suggestion is you buy as many Hairs as you can for 500/1000 and pack em away.

From: Hwymnbnb@aol.com
To: ajerk@prodigy.net
Sent: 5/6/2010 6:49:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Re: Alfred Hair Painting


I'm not trying to buy it, I don't want it, it's too dark and dreary, AND you told me it's not for sale.
I'll post this repartee in my blog so folks can get a good laugh.
Now I can feel as though I HAVEN"T wasted my time.
If someone offered 3500, they are entitled to do so.
Your piece can be replaced at 1000 with an even better one in the current market, simple as that.

In a message dated 5/6/2010 6:40:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ajerk@prodigy.net writes:



Don't WASTE my time. Find a sucker somewhere else. I've been offered $3500!
I guess that was a dream too.



--- On Thu, 5/6/10, Hwymnbnb@aol.com wrote:


From: Hwymnbnb@aol.com
Subject: Re: Alfred Hair Painting
To: ajerk@prodigy.net
Date: Thursday, May 6, 2010, 6:36 AM


Live in your dream world, Xyzxyz. No bs from here.
Believe what makes you happy.
Put it in an auction and you'll find out.
I showed you the one that brought 1005 for proof.
Waste my time no more.


In a message dated 5/6/2010 6:26:01 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ajerk@prodigy.net writes:


Save the bs for people who don't know art.

--- On Wed, 5/5/10, Hwymnbnb@aol.com wrote:


From: Hwymnbnb@aol.com
Subject: Re: Alfred Hair Painting
To: ajerk@prodigy.net
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2010, 9:46 PM


Hi, Xyzxyz.
Don't need the hundred.
WELL, THAT'S A LIE, BUT HERE'S YOUR FREE APPRAISAL.
It's just OK. No disrespect meant.
Current buy sell spread 500/1000.
Wish I had better news.
This one's gorgeous and only brought 1025 at auction last week.

(I attached an image of a 24 x 36 orange and purple cloudy sunset.)

regards,
BOB


In a message dated 5/5/2010 7:53:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ajerk@prodigy.net writes:


Nice speaking with you, Here is a picture of the painting and one of the signature.

Take care, Xyzxyz (xyz) abc-jerk

No comments: