Saturday, October 29, 2011

James Gibson, People Magazine


When the article in People Magazine came out, I think in 2003 or 2004, I went down to Publix and bought a half a dozen copies. The highwaymen art market had been well established by then with several active dealers dealing, and was cooking right along. Sales were "brisk", as Jim Fitch would proclaim in one of his several articles in Antiques and Art Around Florida.

At the many antique shows where I set up displays of the work I considered to be the most visually exciting and worthy of investment, I would almost always have a vintage painting or two by James for sale alongside the Newtons, Hairs, and McLendons that I favored. I used the magazine as a sales tool to help prove the validity of this market to skeptics and those copies I had bought were soon gone, given to my best customers.

The opportunity to share this link has been made possible by the creative people involved in the upcoming highwayman motion picture via their excellent website.

Here's your link, gentle readers.

http://www.starsnorth.com/highwaymen/pdf/people.pdf

In true People style it's short but sweet. And you will notice, in true People style, it mentions divorce, courting of a fiancee, and celebrities, from Steven Spielberg to Jeb Bush to Geoff Cook.

No comments: