Friday, June 15, 2012

Fake Highwaymen, Newton, of course.





Here we go again, two bad Harolds on eBay right now.
one in Amsterdam and one in Key Largo.
Here's the latest, this time it's an intentional mis-attribution.

When you see the emails back and forth, you'll understand why I know this.


Dear sue70,

Sue, this is painted and signed by Dean D Newton, not a highwaymen Newton, and definitely not Harold.
If you google him you can probably see images with the signature on other paintings.
Bob, highwaymen-buy-sell-trade.com


Dear 24heavy,

I have this appraise by two different appraisers and they said it is Harold Newton.
The signature is Harold Newton's also.
The sytlized painting is typical of his too.
If you read the content of my description, it says that Newton was much more accomplished than the others and did paintings other than the tropical ones.
I do appreciate your information though.
Thank you


- sue70

Now, gentle people, since you're reading this blog, I assume you have a brain, unlike Sue70.
Since you have a brain, you know how to google and search images.

You can find, unlike the "two appraisers" she checked with, examples of Harold Newton's signature and Dean D Newton's signature, as well.

I told her my website so she'd know who was attempting to keep her from embarrasing herself, or possibly opening herself to charges of fraud, but she's a stubborn one.

That's the lesson for today, kids. Summer School is in session.


Saturday night update:

Success or fail? Dunno.
It's hard for me to imagine that someone bought this thing, but she ended the sale Saturday.
That's a good thing.

"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dean Newton was active from at least 1920, to around 1960's or 70's. Well before the rise of the Highwaymen. Folks often believe they have the Florida Newton's when they run accross Deans work, which is made with the wet on wet techique used by the early 20th century tourist scenic painters. He was one of those, who by the practice became a very fair Plein Air painter who seemed to work out of California.

Anonymous said...

This blog was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something that helped me.
Thanks a lot!

Visit my homepage - home remodeling