Saturday, April 3, 2010

I'm whining, I'm just another damn whiner

Yeah, I was just lying when I started this blog and said I wouldn't whine.

Well, no, that statement is a lie.

Let's just say I've changed my mind over the course of the last couple of years since I started writing this blog. Now I can whine in good conscience.

So, here you go (always remembering that it's not required reading.)

this from part of an email I sent to a customer:

Also, since you asked and I forgot, no, the "young man" you spoke with in my booth at WPB who had 2 HN's never got back to me. They usually don't, they just want quick free appraisals.

I get several inquiries a week like that. Had three emails in a row the other day, Harolds and Willies and more, oh my. When they find out there's a fee, that's usually the end of it. It was for those three.

I have to use my knowledge and experience to put bread on my table, right ?

I'm not completely heartless, though, I try to help and educate complete strangers sometimes.

For example, a guy from up north, seller "a", put a listing on eBay a couple of weeks ago with a buy-it-now of $10,000.00. I emailed him politely that he might not want to waste fees because he had a one hundred dollar item. We emailed back and forth several times, as I explained in detail what exactly he had as compared to what he thought he had. Told him how he could tell the difference and did what I could to explain my experience in studying handling so many these items in the course of the last 15 years.

So, as a concession, he revised his listing to have a buy-it-now of $ 1,000.00.
Again, it's worth $ 100.00 not $ 1000.00.

So, as further proof, I sent him a link showing another eBay seller "b", who had a similar item with a buy-it-now of $ 75.00 with no bidders or any interest for several weeks. Listed and re-listed a couple or three times. Along with everybody else, I didn't want seller "b"s item, either.

At that point, I offered seller "a" $ 50.00 for his hundred dollar item. I thought that was fair.

So what does he do ? Turns down my 50 and re-lists it again, starting at 75.

I guess he likes giving eBay their fees.

And I felt like I gave him a pretty nice education, worth more than the extra 25 he hoped to squeeze from the public. Maybe someone will buy it, but it won't be me. I'm even out at 50 now, too.
I have completely lost interest in the item.

Is that wrong, you think ?

I ask you, gentle readers, is seller "a" a good businessman "with his own money and paintings" like Mr. anonymous who sent me hate mail last month or two calling me an "irrelevant know it all" ?

((Anonymous said...
What year was it that you were last relevant?Also when was it that you actually owned one of these with your own money,and didnt have to beg paintings from others that are actually good business people with their own money and paintings?
Dinosaurs come to mind.....))


Or is seller "a" a jerk ?

Or am I the jerk for wasting so much time ?

Or for whining ?

No comments: