Thursday, December 3, 2009

Tiger's in Florida, right ? And in the news, right?

And I imagine most everyone has been inundated with the story of the Thanksgiving evening car crash, on private property, in Windmere Florida. If you follow sports news, as I do, you can't escape it.

Personally, I'm mostly disgusted by the "enquiring minds want to know" atmosphere that seems to be permeating our society. I don't watch Inside Edition, or TMZ, or any of that other crap that glorifies celebrity gossip and scandal. I'm big on personal privacy. Real big.

Tiger and Elin's personal lives are not my concern or any of my business. I'm sure everyone has their own take on the situation and they are certainly entitled to their opinions.

There has arisen a burning question in my mind, however, and it deeply concerns me. I have seen it raised in the media only once, but I imagine as time goes on we'll see it agin. Or not.

I hereby copy and paste what I just read in "Fanhouse" or some link connected to it.

What if we reverse the situation and Tiger is standing above a bleeding Elin holding a golf club after she's just wrecked her car?

Tiger's in jail, right?

I think it's pretty fascinating how society has a complete double standard when it comes to domestic disputes (of course, there's no proof that there was a dispute of any kind involved here, and Tiger has denied being physically attacked by his wife). The wife attacks the husband and we think it's funny.

The husband attacks the wife and we want him locked up and the key thrown into the Atlantic.

Does that really make sense?

I don't advocate domestic violence of any sort, nor do I advocate marital infidelity.

I do, howevah, advocate equal rights, or something along those lines.

This episode with the Woods family has caused a lot of questions to be raised, but I think this one may be the most important.

No comments: